Pages

Guided Walk, Migrants at last and 2 Opsreys!

What a few days! It's all been kicking off here in sunny Weymouth. Finally there's been a really good push of migrants arriving, with several new birds for the year including Yellow Wagtail, Tree Pipit and I've now caught up with 2 Ospreys! The migrant guided walk on the 10th had far less migrants than we'd have liked, though a really good up-channel movement of Common Scoter kept interest up, I hope everyone had a good time though and I'm already looking forward to the next one.

Yesterday (11th) Was an incredible day, BBC Weather yet again was about as useful as a chocolate fireguard! Rain was forecast all day from dawn so I stayed in bed... I got up at 6:30 and it wasn't raining and a check on the radar showed it may not come at all! up on the Chesil by 6:50 I joined John Down for what was about to be a superb couple of hours, I returned for an hour before lunch and added a few more Scoter, 2 Little Gulls (which I didn't see ALL year last year) and a really good passage of Manx Shearwater had started up.

Velvet Scoter 1
Common Scoter 438
Little Gull 2
Arctic Tern 1
Little Tern 2
Sandwich Tern 14
Dunlin 7
Whimbrel 1
Sanderling 1
BH Gull 7
Common Gull 3
Arctic Skua  5
RTD 1
Manx 320+




Velvet Scoter (bottom Bird with Commons) Osprey over the north of Portland and as it flew past