Pages

A morning on Portland

With my alarm set for 5am I'd seemingly forgotten to check the weather forecast, by 5:45 I was stood in Culverwell wondering what I'd done to deserve a gale force easterly! I trapped 5 birds in my first round but it was too windy to continue. Beating a path to the Bill with Colin White we set up for a seawatch down over (the ledges below the bill quarry) passage was slow and somewhat overshadowed by the incoming passerines, White Wag, Tree Pipit, Lots of Willow Warblers, Linnets, Wheatears and Hirundines came through, the later in big numbers, my first Swift of the year also passed through. A few Whimbrel, Great Northern and Red-throated Diver, Manx Shearwater and Sandwich Terns passed by on the sea but it wasn't anything to send a postcard about! Back at the Obs news of a Cuckoo came through, initial views were distant but re-finding it in the top fields provided a better opportunity.

Cuckoo
Great Northern Diver
House Martin
Sand Martin
Whimbrel
Whimbrel(s)
Willow Warbler
White Wagtail
Northern Gannet

Why not book to come and Join me for a day tour? I saw all of this in just 4 hours with relative ease and you could too! http://joe-stockwell.blogspot.co.uk/p/day-tours.html