Coming Soon - Guided Walks Calendar

Apologies for my lack of posting of late, I've been rather busy with a few things, some going to plan and some falling rather flat! There is an upside to my minor setback, well two actually, firstly nothing has changed for me personally and secondly it's allowed me to rethink what I'm doing for a career! More on that another day though!

For now though, something a little different, Spring migration is a time where all birdwatchers start to get excited, for me there is nothing better than walking across a migration hotspot uncovering the first Wheatears arrived in off the sea, or watching hundreds of Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers make their way northwards to their breeding grounds, across nothing more than a few Brambles and Alexanders! You can get the chance to see passage on the sea including Skuas, Ducks and Terns all moving in good numbers by April.

So, where is this going? My first guided walk of course! Although I have led walks for both Portland Bird Observatory and the RSPB this will be my first set up entirely by myself for your pleasure! In time there will be a full program for the year, for the time being though I'll advertise this one and should it be a success (which I am confident it will be) I'll add more straight away.

Migrants, Migrants and More Migrants! Sunday 10th April

Find yourself struggling to come across all those lovely birds reported by the team at Portland Bird Observatory? Let me help guide you for a mornings bird watching at Portland Bill, we'll go in search of Common Migrants; Wheatear, Redstart, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler and Whitehtroat, but also for more difficult birds to get to grips with such as Grasshopper Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, Tree Pipit and Yellow Wagtail - Although all regular on passage they can be easily missed. If conditions allow on the day we'll also put in a little time sea watching.

Pomarine Skuas and 3 Teal 

 Redstart

Willow Warbler

The walk will start at 7am in the Portland Bill Carpark SY676684 where there is a pay and display charge, we'll head out for 3 Hours on a fairly leisurely walk looking to find as much as possible with very good local knowledge and up to date information. Although it will be mainly flat there are a couple of uphill and downhill tracks and good walking footwear is advised. All ages and abilities welcome.

The cost of the walk is £8 per person limited to 14 places, that will also include a cup of coffee and a biscuit during a brief stop at PBO where we may be lucky enough to see a couple of birds in the hand. 

To book on you can email me at Jstockwell20@Gmail.com, Call O7787-362O89 or Direct Message me on Twitter @Joe_stockwell