Thursday 29th Ocotber 2015

This morning I found myself questioning my sanity and not for the first time, returning only 30 minutes after venturing out soaked and cold! believing the BBC Weather forecast was my downfall this morning, giving me false hope of a miraculous clearance of the rain at 10am. The rain finally subsided at 11 and by this point I'd given up trying to stay dry and birded through misty optics. The Rodwell trail came alive shortly after the rain, 50+ Goldcrest and 3+ Firecrest made it very rewarding though a siberian sprite continued to elude me, a Flythrough Merlin and flushing a Ring Ouzel continued to make things a little more bearable. The Harbour under-cliff was pretty active, the Long-tailed Tit flock was mobile containing more Goldcrests and 10 Chiffchaffs. Overhead passage was limited to 12 Skylark, a Redwing and a Crossbill. The afternoon however saw me crack, a Pallas's Warbler at Portland was too much to resist and it was duly added to my Dorset list, not the self found I was after but there's always tomorrow!


Chiffchaff


Merlin out over Portland Harbour


Pallas's Warbler - 286th species for me in Dorset