Autumn is coming to a close

...and now sets in the arduous task of birding through the winter. Someone genuinely said this to me the other day, I asked if he was stupid, though fortunately he thought I was being sarcastic. I love winter birding... and with that in mind.

Autumn is dropping off at a slow pace, reaching it's gasp in to winter and if you believe the express we'll probably be in a new ice age by December. I must admit it's been a rather extraordinary Autumn, I've now experienced my first as an assistant warden, essentially birding everyday and it's gone from the truly sublime to the ridiculous, pardon the cliche but who'd have thought, a Radde's Warbler in Andover! So, the Autumn... I guess it's a case of highlights in pictures, most things have been written about, especially the night of October 1st. That was a very special night and will live with me forever, so good in fact that reliving that night for this post brought a tear to my eye just thinking about the excitement I was able to share with some of my best friends.

There were more birds, more finds, probably more pictures but this outlines just how good my autumn has been!


Dusky Warbler


Icterine Warbler


Melodious Warbler


Radde's Warbler


Red-breasted Flycatcher


Common Rosefinch


Sabine's Gull


 Semipalmated Sandpiper

 
 Spotted Crake


Undoubted Highlight - Thrush Nightingale


Short-toed Lark


Wryneck


Yellow-browed Warbler


Part of 180 Balearic Shearwaters in an hour


Richard's Pipit