Keeping a blog is almost as hard as keeping a notebook.

Before I came to Portland I always kept a notebook, Okay a pretty scruffy thing which I could decipher but not anyone else, my first couple of months it kept going nicely and then, without any thoughts of it I just stopped filling it in. I still have a rough notebook for fieldwork but that's all, the Black and Red no.2 is now gathering dust in my room, strange really. The same can be said for my blog, It's not as though there's nothing to write about, I'm birding everyday and this is a birding blog!

Anyway, enough rambling, what have I been up to? Corncrake was added to my British list on Saturday, it took 4 hours work and numerous attempts but it finally decided to have a fly around just before dusk. A bird which should be seen in Scotland but I'm sure this was just as exciting if not more so! Amazingly it was a tick for quite a few of us that evening including Alan and Nicky Pomoroy who are currently staying with us, an Ortolan Bunting was nicely pinned down for us to enjoy in the afternoon too. Semipalmated Sandpiper was also a new addition last week, It was seen at Abbotsbury Swanery, a very pleasing and confiding bird.

 Ortolan Bunting

 Semipalmated Sandpiper and Dunlin (2)
  Semipalmated Sandpiper
 Semipalmated Sandpiper and Dunlin (2)

This autumn is already starting to shape up nicely, with Corncrake, 6+ Ortolan Bunting, 4+ Icterine Warbler, 10+ Wryneck and loads of common migrants with Whinchat being particularly well represented, the sea by contrast has been rather disappointing apart from the huge Balearic day count of 384! It's getting on for that time now, fingers crossed...